Tips for adjusting BW scans

Hi All

I've been working on a digital imaging tutorial aimed at people who know
little about digital imaging and have long been searching for a method of
adjusting BW scans that was foolproof for a wide variety of images that
could be broken down into simple steps (largely because the people where I
work don't want to learn principles, they just want to know how to do
it).  Finally I think I've found it.

Many IR images end up looking 'muddy' because people are too scared to make
their highlights white or shadows black (just as in most photographs) in an
attempt to retain as much detail as possible. This method provides good
control over shadows and highlights and provides a good starting point for
further fine tuning images.

I've posted an offshoot of the tutorial at
<http://www.bigbenpublishing.com.au/gallery/photography/bwscan.html> Try it
out on some of your existing web images and see what you think.

Cheers

Ben