IR film formats & the Death of 4x5 IR film by Kodak.

  • From: "Rolland Elliott" <rolland_elliott@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: IR film formats & the Death of 4x5 IR film by Kodak.
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 16:58:33 EST

To answer some past IR digest questions:

Yes, I sell cut down IR (B&W & COLOR) in 120 & 220 formats. Email me OFF
LIST if you are interested. Cost is $20 for 120 and $25 for 220.

To Answer one of WJ's past questions:
Yes, B&WE IR film is available in 9.5 inch bulk rools. I forgot the exact
length, I think it was 250 feet.  Anyways at a cost of approximately $1300
per roll, no one is gong to buy it and split it down (not even me!) so for
all practical purposes this is not a  solution to Kodak's discontinuation of
4x5 IR film.

WJ also mentioned that there was an article on his web page detailing
someone's use of this 9.5" bulk film & having problems with a pinkish base
fog. I'd like to respectfully state that the article on your page talks
about someone using 9.5" AEREOCHROME COLOR IR film and CROSS PROCESSING IT
in C-41 chemicals, not B&W IR film.

My personal opinion is that this pinking base fog on CROSS PROCESSED COLOR
IR film isn't a "problem" or strange occurance. I've cross processed (which
means developing it in C41 as opposed to E-6 chemistry) Color IR film and
you get a pinkish base fog.  If you cross process any film you get wierd
colors and a base fog 99% of the time.  So it is no surprise that Color IR
film exhibits this trend.

Lastly the other IR formats that Kodak provides for anyone's interest:
Kodak's L-9 professional photographic catalog says Kodak sells the
following:
CAT No.    Size mmxft   Spec. No.  Letter Code   Sales
160 4149       35x150       417        HIE       1 Roll
169 0841       70x150       494                  1 Roll
The street prices for this film are a little cheaper.

According to KODAK, The 35mmx150ft film has Bell and Howell (BH) perforated
both edges while the 70mm roll has Type II performations - in accordance
with ANSI PH1.10-1976.  The 70mm film comes in a 4-mil Estar Base.

Past users have reported that the 35mmx150' Bell & Howard performated film
has the same perforated edges as standard 35mm film. Why Kodak makes it
sound like it won't work in regular cameras is a mystery to me.

And as others have noted you can get Kodak to manufacture any film format
you desire, as long as you purchase a certain mimimum order, which is always
several thousand dollars worth of film, which makes it practially useless to
do, unless you want to set up a business selling the stuff.

Thanks Rolland
P.S. You can get a copy of Kodak's 1996Professional Photographic Catalog
Publi
cation #L-9 by calling them @ 1-800-242-2424.  It has lots of great info. on
all the film, chemicals, and papers they make including infrared films.