Re: One hour sunset picture exposures?

  • From: George Pearl <alps007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: One hour sunset picture exposures?
  • Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 12:32:08 -0400

Hi Bill and others...
I have both kinds of cameras. I have shot the 65 Roundshot using 70mm film
at wide open f/4.5 for stadium shots at night with superior results in
sharpness. I don't have enough experience with the 220VR to make any
worthwhile comment on the use of the Nikor lenses on that camera, except
that all jobs shot with the camera have produced great shots so far. I have
had one soft focus problem using the 300mm lens set at 100 meters though. I
am not sure why that happened yet, and will need to test it. The lens is
tack sharp. I have been using the 220VR to shoot some sunsets with the 135mm
and the 85mm lenses (Nikon), and the shots were in the 3 or 5 minute range
using 400 Portra film. I usually stop down 2 or 3 stops and let her rip. The
pictures are sharp with no grain printed 48" long. I really don't think the
lens has that much to do with the sharpness of these rotational cameras as
does the proper film speed through the camera in relation to the rotating
speed of the camera. I have heard that stopping way down with these cameras
really doesn't do much for sharpness. Is that a fact? Who really knows the
answer of sharpness here? Looks like this will take a bunch of testing to
come up with a true answer.
My best,
George S. Pearl, BCQDE, BCEP, FEPIC, QPP
ALPS - Evidence & Photo
2139 Liddell Drive, NE
Atlanta, GA 30324-4132

Tel: 404/872-2577
National: 1-800-USE-ALPS
Fax: 404/872-0548
Home: 404/634-1139
Cell: 404/771-9121
ALPS Website: "http://www.ALPSLABS.com"
Atlanta Panorama is a division of ALPS...
"http://www.AtlantaPanorama.com"