RE: Xpan is GREAT for you, not for me ;-)

  • From: "Xiong, Zonghou" <Zonghou.Xiong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Xpan is GREAT for you, not for me ;-)
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 10:27:11 +1100

Don't get me wrong.  Xpan is the cheapest choice if you compare it with
other panoramic cameras.  It is expensive if you think it's a normal
35 mm camera.

Think what other options there are for an image area of 24x65 mm with the
Xpan 30mm lens. Mamiya 7 with the 43mm lens? Horseman 612 with their
55/45/35 mm lenses? Linhof 617 with Schneider 72 mm?

How much would it cost you to buy a Noblex or a Fuji GX617?

I consider Xpan the cheapest choice with guaranteed lens quality.  I've
hesitated to get the 30mm lens partly because I own a Noblex 135U. I've
been weighing the Xpan with the 30mm lens against a Horseman 612 and an
extra lens is certainly far cheaper than a new system.  On the other hand
I did remember seeing a few 6x12 slides with very unacceptable flares.
Although I wasn't 100% sure they were taken by a Horseman, my suspicions
toward the lenses would never go away.

Sure, all my slides are scanned before outputting to any media. This means
extra blowups with smaller film formats.  If you consider scanning costs,
35mm film would save you another tenfold.  This is the other advantage
of the Xpan.

Zonghou Xiong