Re: Image sharpness and focus distance.

  • From: SA Photographers <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Image sharpness and focus distance.
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 20:22:11 +0200

>From what little I can remember of my basic training in optics, the
statement that only one plane can be sharp for a particular focus distance
is correct but fortunately for us photographers, the human eye having the
limitations it has, allows us to see unsharp images as sharp dependant on
magnification, viewing distance and the acceptable circle of error. Which
leads me to hyperfocal focussing points. I forget the formula but I am sure
that enlightened members will supply it, but the upshot was that one could
set the focus at a particular distance and all objects within the parameters
appeared sharp. So for panoramas 4 meters to Infinity and an acceptable
degree of sharpness would give an optimum hyperfocal distance. This formula
could also be applied to near and middle distance subjects. The size of an
object doesn't change with focus merely the degree of fuzziness and then I
will throw in another bone of contention. Perspective is dependant on the
point of view not the lens used i.e. all lenses have the same perspective
when used from the same point of view only the angle of view changes.

Craig Woods
PO Box 91
Honeydew 2040
South Africa