Re: Testing Focal Lengths of Lenses

  • From: Jook Leung <jook360@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Testing Focal Lengths of Lenses
  • Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 12:59:13 -0500

Hi George,

Yes, after reading Bill's post, his points are well reasoned and as he also
said, confirmed by Mr Seitz. So you maybe off the hook in collecting
everybody's lenses.:-)

I've found my 50mm/1.4 Nikkor to be very sharp using the suggested numbers.
My 28PC Nikkor is okay.

I also use a Sigma 14EX whose results could be better.
A 390 degree image is short enough to scan on my Leafscan45.
Caution: Sigma lenses focus past infinity!
I never try to focus with the 14mm, and consider everything beyond 3 meters
is at infinity, so I tape the lens at infinity. Conventional hyperfocus
depth of field rules do not apply here.

To recap, is it correct to say that a calibrated fl is only good at one
focus setting? This is because the image size will change with the lens
focus.

When I did lens testing, I looked for image sharpness and did not try to
measure
aspect ratios! I also set the 220VR to take 90 degrees so that I could fit
many trials on a roll. But such short starts and stops may cause problems.
In the end, I didn't have a powerful enough magnifier to really see
differences between tenths of a fl, but maybe quarter and thirds.

Jook

>Dear Jook,
>   I am not so certain after reading Glickman's posting that this is the
>right way to go...what do you think?
>George :-)

J O O K   L E U N G
360VR Photography - Panoramic Photography for Virtual Tours
44A Honeck Street, Englewood, NJ  07631
Email: jook@xxxxxxxxx    Web:  http://360vr.com
voice: 201.894.5881  fax: 201.894.5882  mobile: 201.679.6177