Admin notes (was: REMOVE

  • From: Willem-Jan Markerink <w.j.markerink@xxxxx>
  • Subject: Admin notes (was: REMOVE
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 11:54:32 +0100

On 22 Dec 00 at 18:42, david h quackenbush wrote:

> If you absolutely have to respond to these spams and mis-directed posts,
> please -do not- blindly hit the reply button! Your reply goes to the
> entire panorama list along with the quoted text of the annoying message.

First a little apology to the list for delaying the process of moving
this list to a new home (a few months ago, Steve mentioned he didn't
have enough time for, nor control over, the list(-configuration), so
I offered it a new home, next to my existing lists (Infrared
Photography, Canon EOS, and soon to add Kowa Camera).

The reason for this delay is the release of a new version of
Majordomo, offering several nice features (among which a choice of 3
digest modes, plain ASCII (as normal), MIME (with direct linking
from table of content)), and a 'bare' table-of-content only.
Filtering and/or selective stripping of postings containing
HTML/MIME-garbage is also much better implemented, including matching
bounce-notifications (right now these are a bit too generic, and
tricky to generate), to help the poster figure out what his problem
is, and which mailer settings he has to change to compose a 'clean'
message.

Anyway, since moving servers is just as tricky and time consuming as
moving to a new software-release, I chose to do it all at once, but
that won't happen until early next year. Please have patience!....;))

>  When freely giving away your e-mail address to spammers, first: check
> your header to find the address of the sender, then make sure you do not
> Cc: to anybody else, finally, the default setting of your replies (to
> anybody) should be "do not include text of message in reply" or whatever
> the equivalent setting is in your software.

Ehh....please limit the latter to spam only....reading a reply
without knowing what the question was (the original question or a
previous reply?) is quite annoying....

And, last but not least, please let this offensive spam *not* result
in offenses between list members....don't give spam that honor, and
please have patience until we moved servers, and all this spam is
banned forever (no more posting by non-subscribers, since spammers
are never members (no, don't worry, we have a solution for
subscribers posting legitimately from different accounts....;))

PS: if that message-stripping-tool works decently, we can also strip
pseudo-spam from free providers like Juno & Co....;))

--
Bye,

Willem-Jan Markerink

      The desire to understand