Re: Slides from 35 mm IR Kodak Film or prints

  • From: Clive Warren <Clive.Warren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Slides from 35 mm IR Kodak Film or prints
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 10:03:46 +0000

>Clive:
>    I found the reference on the FAQ and thanks, but my problem is
>different.  I
>already have developed my film in a normal manner as print negatives.  I then
>made prints from the negatives and now I need slides from the prints for a
>competition.  I don't know what film to use to shoot the slides from the
>prints,
>whether I can use my Metz Flash or if I need other lighting.  Hope you can
>help!!!
>
>Kudos
>
>Larry M.
>InfraVisions

Larry,

Glad you found the info. in the FAQ.  Your problem is one of general
photography and there have been already been a few useful postings in
response on the list.

If your original prints are black and white ie without toning or colouring
from the development process or paper, then use something like Tech Pan
which is fine grain and will reproduce the prints well.

If you have a macro lens then use it as the flat field characteristics are
ideal for copying without distortion - a 50mm would be fine for 35mm
format. Finally it would be good to use either a copy stand or adapted
enlarger to hold the camera directly above the prints.  You can hand hold
the camera but a fine grain slow film such as Tech Pan would probably be
too slow to use without a stand of some sort.

Lighting ideally requires two light sources placed at 45 degree angles, one
on each side of the print.  The idea is to make the illumination even
across the print.  You can use tungsten or flash with no filtering of
lights or camera lens if using black and white film.  The key point here is
to make the illumination even and to avoid reflected glare from the surface
of the print, thus the 45 degree angle of the lights.

So, perhaps you can borrow another Metz flash?

If all else fails, a good pro. lab. will always do the job for you if you
are under time pressure.  They have all the necessary kit and expertise.
You could perhaps also use MF or LF transparencies - think of those on the
light box :-)

All the best,

             Clive   http://www.cocam.co.uk
                     Photographic Services, Filters and Equipment, Infrared FAQ
                            http://clive.bel-epa.com
                            Adventures in Cyberspace - Digital Art and Photos