Re: banding from uneven rotation?

  • From: Willem-Jan Markerink <w.j.markerink@xxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: banding from uneven rotation?
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 17:01:00 +0100

On 23 Dec 99 at 13:42, Julian Clothier wrote:

> Also for that horozontal flare that often occurs I "cured" that by doing
> away with the fancy looks the manufacturers give the camera. Take a good
> look at the outside of the body around the lens area. Do you see any
> polished alloy or stainless edges especially on the lens housing or the
> edges of the camera body just where the housing rotates. If you have then
> get some "FLAT BLACK BLACKBOARD PAINT" just a tiny tin, and carefully paint
> out those edges. You will be surprised at the difference this will make.
>
> Be aware also just where is the sun when you use the camera. They do not
> handle back lighting of the subject at all well. Good luck, have a great
> festive season if it applies, and catch up with you all next century eh?

Ever considered cutting away the front of the drum, ie doing away
with the front 'slit'? Thereby giving the lens a full view during its
entire rotation, and avoiding the sudden light/dark flare effects
that will otherwise occur when the sun suddenly strikes the lens....

Note that all swing-lens cameras suffer from this, whether Horizont,
Horizon 202 or Noblex 150.
But IMNSHO it is more inherent to the front slit than to the
nature/operation of the camera.

Willem (wishing he could find a near total-loss 202 or Noblex to
experiment with this) Jan

--
Bye,

Willem-Jan Markerink