RE: Xpan 30mm lens

  • From: "M. Denis Hill" <denis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Xpan 30mm lens
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 20:41:23 -0700

What I should have "done in the first place" was bought an XPan, but they did not exist when I bought my Fuji G617, Art Panorama, Noblex 150U, Widelux 1500, and Roundshot Super 220 VR. I get at least as many viable shots with the XPan as I did with those, more rapidly, with less weight and film cost, more accurate image composition, and with better film selection. I've sold prints up to 6' long from XPan negs. That satisfied my requirements. I do use a Noblex 135U in preference to the 30mm for the XPan. That's a personal choice I'd never try to force on another photographer.
The 30 second limit of the XPan was a serious impediment to my shooting only once: during a lightning storm (not worried about reciprocity). But I don't think I could have dealt with the changing weather with a larger camera.
If you get a camera that is not right for you, at least you've learned from the experience. If you shy away from a camera because it is, in the opinion of experts, not sufficiently macho, you've been cheated of an opportunity to learn.

M. Denis Hill
Area 360 Communications
http://www.area360.com
360.678.8351