Re: Xpan 30mm lens

  • From: Jeffrey Rogers <jeffreydrogers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Xpan 30mm lens
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 20:49:18 -0700 (PDT)

Some of us love working with the X-Pan, particularly
after experiencing and working with much larger and
bulkier medium and large format cameras. For many
years I was under the mistaken impression that bigger
is better. What is the end use? If it is to be a jpeg
on a web page that is one thing, if it is to be a
billboard that is another. Although, I would not
hesitate to give a client an image created with my
X-Pan for a billboard or a mass transit bus. I do,
however, agree that the limitation of a 30 sec
exposure with a center filter should be a
consideration if one does low light photography.

--- simon nathan <simonwide@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> IF YOU ARE WILLING TO USE A TRIPOD THEN YOU SHOULD
> CONSIDER A CAMERA THAT
> WOULD PROVIDE A LARGER IMAGE (NEG, TRANNIE). THE
> XPAN AIN'T MUCH BUT IT IS AN
> EXPENSIVE  START-UP CAMERA FROM WHICH YOU CAN LEARN
> WHAT YOU WILL DO NEXT, OR
> SHOULD HAVE DONE IN THE FIRST PLACE. AS FOR 30SEC
> MAX EXPOSURE TIME, THE  F5.6
> MAX  IS ASKING FOR IT WITH RECIPROCITY PROBLEMS.
> SIMON NATHAN
>
> "Xiong, Zonghou" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm considering the Xpan 30mm lens but my mind has
> always been clouded by
> > the 30 sec limit of the body and the f/5.6 opening
> of the lens plus centre
> > filtering.  This may work out for landscape but
> for night scenes it may
> > be handicapped.  Has anybody experiences any
> inconveniences with this lens
> > in the real world?
> >
> > Zonghou Xiong

=====
Take care,
Jeff
http://www.jeffrogers.com
"There is a landscape greater than the one we see."