RE: Xpan is GREAT for you, not for me ;-)

  • From: Robert Erickson <cirkut8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Xpan is GREAT for you, not for me ;-)
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 07:11:31 -0700 (PDT)

Some humor for the group...

IMHO - Nothing wrong with an Xpan other than being
GROSSLY overpriced. Be honest, it is nothing more than
a Japanise point and shoot with a Swedish name pasted
on it. Are you one of those photographers who thinks
that switching to the "panorama" mode of your 35mm
camera improves the image? Do you wear a Rolex to tell
the time? Do you drive a Rolls Royce to take the kids
to private school? Then the Xpan is the camera for
you!

Just so that you know the kind of person I am... I
wear a Timex to tell time and drive a ten year old
mini-van to take my kids to public school. I prefer to
shoot a 5x7 view camera for 6x17 (get 4 per film
holder) but I wish I had a VPan. These cameras take
ANY lens and have added benifit of ALL the controlls
of a view camera. The camera on MY wish list is the
new Roundshot. It shoots 360 degree images on 35mm
film for under $2000.

BTW...I have gone just about totally digital. No film,
no prosessing, and due to the enhancing my images in
photoshop my sales have skyrockted. Why settle for
reality? If I want a dramatic sky, I've got dozens in
my stock files to pick from that are just a click
away.

I often deliver images to my customers on CD ROM. I
use rechargable batteries so my material costs for
shooting an assignment is down to 50 cents for the
blank CD ROM. Need a print on photographic paper? Go
to http://gateway.to/prints for 12 inch by 5 foot
panorama from your digital files delivered to your
customer for under $30.

How much do you pay for film, proofing, and printing?

:-)
Bob Erickson

=====
Robert Erickson, cirkut8@xxxxxxxxx