Noblex and Infrared

  • From: Robert Feinman <rdf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Noblex and Infrared
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 15:25:11 -0400

I've been trying to shoot Kodak High Speed Infrared with a Noblex 35.
On my first roll I encountered film fogging which extends all the way
through the sprocket holes.
After studying the camera for awhile I decided that light was reaching
the take up spool by being transmitted through the film wrapped
around the cylinder.
I tried a second roll with a piece of black tape between the film
plane and the take up spool and this eliminated most of the problem.
I still got several frames with a quarter inch wide fog pattern
extending
the full width of the film about one quarter of the way from the edge
of the frame.
Has anyone else had this problem? If so what have you done about it?
It seems to me that it's caused by the IR film being translucent while
regular film has a black backing before it's developed.

--
Robert Feinman