Re: Quality of prints from digital files on photo paper

  • From: Robert Feinman <rdf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Quality of prints from digital files on photo paper
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 09:14:52 -0400

Over the last six months I've started using a hybrid digital technology.
Scan in film and print on ink jet printer.
I bought an Epson 1600 scanner and an Epson 2000P printer. When I scan
6x7 or 4x5 transparencies I can print them at the max size of the
printer (13x19) without any compromise. Scanning 35 mm gives good
(not excellent) prints up to 8 to 10x. I've been shooting a lot with
a Noblex and I get 10x30 prints that look pretty good.

The main thing about digital printing is the control. I've always
been frustrated by the lack of contrast control when printing color.
Ciba prints have always blocked up at both ends and required extensive
burning and dodging to make them reasonable. Kodak and Fuji reversal
papers are only slightly easier. In addition I have many faded prints
made over the past 20 or 30 years.
With the digital prints lifetime is expected to be over 100 years.
In addition to contrast control, there is select color correction that
is not possible otherwise. For example making the grass greener or the
sky
bluer, etc. This is not falsifying the scene just adjusting for
limitations
in the film.

The rule of thumb is that you want a file that has 250-300 pixels per
inch
to send to the printer.
Thus 4" x 1600 dpi = 6400 pixels, divided by 300 yields up to 20x
enlargement
or a 80"x 100" print.
For 35 mm 1"x1600/300 =5 or a 5x8 print. For 35 mm a specialized scanner
at
4000 dpi would yield 13x19" print.
With the use of the new matte papers and proper adjustment of contrast
it is
possible to get full range prints without that plastic look that all
color
prints have had since RC papers were made the only color choice.

Personally I've never gotten prints larger than 8x10 from 35 mm color
slide
film using conventional processing. Maybe if I shot slower film ( I use
100
speed) I could get 11x14 so even with my marginal for 35 mm film scanner
I think prints are comparable.

For 120 film and 4x5 I think digital prints are now superior, except for
the reproduction of some extreme colors where the inks are a little
week.
However, they are still better than the CMYK inks used in all printed
publications.

If you are interested, see if you can get Epson to send you samples from
their new 2000P printer. They include some with each printer to show off
the differing papers, so they should be able to send copies.

--
Robert Feinman