Re: reusing diluted developer ?

 > > There are other, better ways to save money.
 > >
 > > george
 >
 > For example?

>Test your film.  Amazing how a little testing will give you the confidence
>to bracket only accosionally.
>
>Developer is cheap, your time is not.  Don't risk reducing the quality of
>your work by reusing developer.

Test your film and your processing... a little more than a little testing
will give you the confidence to not bracket at all (or to know when you
might have to bracket).

It depends on what and where you photograph but a typical photographic
weekend for me includes 3-5 hrs of driving each way ($100-150 in petrol),
light weight, high energy food for hiking (another $80) not to mention the
physical effort of carrying  a full pack and 15kg of camera gear. The cost
of film and chemicals in this situation is completely irrelevant given the
cost and effort of a reshoot, assuming that I would return to the same
lighting conditions.

It is possible to take some short cuts in photography but film processing
is not one of them. Screw up your negative and you'll just waste a lot of
paper trying to print it.

I'll also agree with mixing your own chemicals (provided you can do it
safely) as this not only saves you money but also gives you the opportunity
of fine tuning your developer (but get the basics right first before you
start messing around)

Given that the main mistake I see most people starting out in photography
making is over-processing their negatives, you might try diluting your
developer further before considering reusing it. Two one-shot processes of
1:2 will be more consistent than trying to guess the replenishment for two
processes of 1:1
Cheers

Ben

http://www.bigbenpublishing.com.au/