Re: Free Portfolio Site

  • From: "Willem-Jan Markerink" <w.j.markerink@xxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Free Portfolio Site
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 11:39:09 +0100

On 21 Nov 99 at 13:15, Stanee Rae Pettit Murray wrote:

> Just read about this in the November issue of Digital Imaging Magazine:
> -----
> http://www.portfolios.com/    Recently introduced free, self-managed online
> portfolios for creative professionals worldwide.  You can now create,
> manage, and update your personal online portfolio right from your desktop
> in a password-protected environment.  Ad agencies and marketing companies
> can tap into the site to search for creative talent.
> -----
> There's a separate section for photographers.

Not to pick on you, but be damn sure to read the fine print in the
agreement/contract.
TANSTAAFL
(there ain't no such thing as a free lunch)

Where free providers often use your address for marketing purposes
(selling to advertisers), once your images are involved, you even
risk that those will be sold/published elsewhere. They might be
low-resolution, but no one is going to profit from my images.

There was a similar thing with one of the big ISP's in the USA,
geocities I believe....

In Holland there is currently an uproar from some of these 'free'
providers....one of the normal ISP's has published their 'fine print'
in an advertising, where it clearly says that such free addresses
*will* be sold for marketing purposes.

Buyer beware not only applies to stuff with a price sticker on
it....it's the free stuff that bears even more risks.

--
Bye,

Willem-Jan Markerink

      The desire to understand