RE: New HSI

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Clive Warren wrote:

> At 5:24 pm -0500 18/11/99, George L Smyth wrote:
>

> >No, it is simply a tube with a cap.  You can either purchase them
> >commercially, or you can make them yourself (directions are in Phil Davis'
> >book Beyond The Zone System).
> >
> >Here's a link that'll give you more information.  I've been using a pair of
> >them for years (you don't have to have six tubes, or the tank).
> >http://www.darkroom-innovations.com/BTZS_Film_Tubes/FIlm_Tube_Instructions/f
> >ilm_tube_instructions.html
> >
> >george
>

> George,
>
> Thank you for the URL.
>
> Had a look at the site and the instructions for using the tubes.  Seems as
> though dissolving the various film base layers requires a bit of extra care
> as the film is flat against the sides of the tubes. Developer doesn't get
> to the complete back surface of the film.  Fixing is carried out using a
> large tray which is fine but in my darkroom this adds a way for dust to
> enter the developing process :-)

I guess I'm not following - dust?  I use three 8X10 developing trays when
processing the sheets.  Water is in the first tray, and that's where the
tubes go when I rotate them.  Following the developing process, I open the
caps, toss the developer, and place the tubes in the second tray, which
contains stop.  I roll the tubes in that tray for half a minute then
remove the sheets and place them in the third tray, which contains my
fix.  Dust doesn't enter into it.

Developer doesn't get to a portion of the film along the backside (all of
the film doesn't lie exactly along the back).  The absolute worst that
this has ever done is to require that I use PermaWash for a minute to
remove some of the stain on TMX films.

The system works great and I've always gotten excellent results with this
system (not recommended for folks using pyro).

george

---
Handmade Photographic Images
http://www2.ari.net/glsmyth/