Re: neg scans

  • From: Peter Brown <fotofx@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: neg scans
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 12:09:58 +1000

Title: Re: neg scans
Trevor and Brigid

A good pro flat bed scanner at reasonable cost (< $1500 US)  is the Artix 1100 made by Microtek.  This has superceded the Scanmaker 5 which can be had for around $1000 US.  Still a good scanner though.
These scanners scan from the face of the film directly, not through glass and the film sits flat on the glass, considerably helping sharpness.
The Artix also has a D-Max of 3.8, which is approaching some drum scanners.
Software and monitor calibration are also two very important factors for good scans and usually it is necessary to purchase propriety software from a manufacter other than the scanner maker.

If you are scanning 35mm, you really need to use a dedicated 35mm scanner such as the Polaroid 4000.  The flatbeds just can't produce the goods at this size. They work well for 6x7 and above but you really have to work to get good results with a flatbed on 35mm.

I presume you are scanning into photoshop?  I've had good results scanning multiple 35mm images into photoshop and then tweaking them to produce panoramas. Photoshop is a very powerful program and gives you many options to merge/join images together.  In fact I  prefer PS to the other panorama software available, when stitching images together for print work.

Hope this helps,

Peter Brown