Re: Kodak to discontinue HSI?

Still no letter from Kodak UK regarding the future for HSI 4x5 sheet film.

However I did get a call this morning from a supplier who told me that they
had talked to Kodak UK regarding future supplies.

The latest story is that Kodak are going to discontinue the Estar-based HSI
(how it is normally supplied) and will in the future supply HSI in the
thinner acetate base as used in 35mm HIE.

Reading between the lines, this means that Kodak will be simply cutting the
4x5 sheets from the same stock as that used for 35mm.

Well this will stop any pinhole problems but will it be good for 4x5 HSI
users?

The first problem that springs to mind is film flatness - both in the
camera and the enlarger.  It's going to be a lot harder to keep the thin
base acetate flat compared to the thicker Estar base.

Secondly film loading will be a bit more difficult using the thinner base film.

It remains to be seen whether the new acetate base HSI will affect
processing times or image quality.  At least we have 35mm HIE experience to
guide us.

All the best,

             Clive   http://www.cocam.co.uk
                     Photographic Services, Filters and Equipment, Infrared FAQ
                            http://clive.bel-epa.com
                            Adventures in Cyberspace - Digital Art and Photos